BROUGHTON AND NORTH NEWINGTON SPORTS CLUB
Based just outside Banbury in North Oxfordshire,the club is overseen by the Broughton and North Newington recreation ground trust,a registered charity which oversees the whole facility. The first recorded football match took place in the 1890s and the first recorded cricket match in 1920,both in the village of North Newington. It was in 1964,when the current ground was obtained, that the club became known as Broughton and North Newington sports club.
The ground is home to:Broughton and North Newington Football Club,who have two teams playing in the Oxfordshire Senior League and Broughton and North Newington Cricket Club,who have two Saturday teams playing in the Oxfordshire Cricket Association leagues and a Sunday friendly side.
The clubhouse is managed by Broughton and North Newington Social Club,a committee,chaired by Neil Mepham and between ten and twelve members. They manage the bar and clubhouse and are responsible for hiring out the venue for weddings,christenings and parties. The function room can hold up to 180 people for a party,or 120 seated for a wedding reception.
The clubhouse is open most weekends and can also be hired out for meetings. In recent years it has become the home of The Banbury and District Steam Society and the Banbury and District Ploughing Society. During the week the Castle Pre School occupies the function room.